[CMake] Global build target for global post-build stage ?

Eric BOIX eboix at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Dec 6 10:46:01 EST 2006

	Dear David Cole,

Quoting David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>:
> You could add a custom target that depends on all the other targets in your
> project.
True enough. But for big projects this places a global constraint on all
CMakeLists.txt maintainers who get to update the custom global target
dependencies each time they add/delete a new target. One could resolve
to some hierarchy of targets instead of a flat approach. Still this
sounds heavy and fragile (since it depends on each maintainer). Doesn't it ?

For our project we build 30 sub-libraries or libraries (I know this is
probably a poor design, nevertheless...), 34 independent binaries (which
is reasonable), a user's and programmers guide, the doxygen documentation
not to mention de Ctest part.... The custom global target would be quite
complicated. And to that the fact that some targets are only build when
some OPTION flags are set...and things get quickly out of control.

	Thanks anyhow !
	Yours,
	Eric Boix.