[CMake] MSYS is a Unix

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 03:49:11 EST 2005

William A. Hoffman wrote:

>At 06:28 PM 11/28/2005, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>

>>Even so, a command line option + help entry is more rational.
>>Especially when trying to convert the ./configure crowd.  I'll file it as a feature request.
>>

>The problem is that before cmake is run, there is no way to tell what all the options will be.

In this case we're not interested in all the options, we're interested
in CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.  I see no reason why this can't be a command
line option ala ./configure.  Let's be honest: autoconf is a lot more
popular than cmake, and it would be nice to change that.  Isn't it
advisable to have some command line features that make an autoconf guy
feel like it's business as usual?  A different operational model is
appropriate when there really needs to be one, but for the installation
prefix, there doesn't need to be one.  I am not convinced, either, that
every and any project necessitates dozens of configuration options.
Many projects only need 1 option, where they're gonna install.

>If cmake -D.... is the way a particular project wants to tell users how to do things, then
>the specific command lines for that project can be given in that projects documentation.

An installation target directory is not a project specific concept.
"cmake -DSOME_ODD_VARNAME=blubblub" would be less objectionable if it
were a readily documented method, but currently it isn't.  Either better
documentation or a simplified interface is warranted for this very
common task.

>As I demonstrated it is possible to make even built in cmake variables like CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
>not do anything, but be replaced by project specific variables.  So, it really would not be possible
>to have a help entry for the options for a project.

That is overthinking it / advanced usage.  The behavior of
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX can and certainly should be documented.

>   The choices are:
>
>ccmake (unix)
>CMakeSetup(windows)
>cmake -i  (this is an interactive mode, sort of like perls configuration process.)

Incidentally, I notice that ccmake doesn't get built under MSYS.  Maybe
that would be appropriate.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every