[CMake] MSYS is a Unix

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Mon Nov 28 22:03:54 EST 2005

At 06:28 PM 11/28/2005, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>Even so, a command line option + help entry is more rational.
>Especially when trying to convert the ./configure crowd.  I'll file it as a feature request.

The problem is that before cmake is run, there is no way to tell what all the options will be.
For the most part running ccmake or CMakeSetup is the way to go.  I know it is not really
in line with ./configure, but with cmake, the options you pick and even add or subtract options.
If cmake -D.... is the way a particular project wants to tell users how to do things, then
the specific command lines for that project can be given in that projects documentation.
As I demonstrated it is possible to make even built in cmake variables like CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
not do anything, but be replaced by project specific variables.  So, it really would not be possible
to have a help entry for the options for a project.   The choices are:

ccmake (unix)
CMakeSetup(windows)
cmake -i  (this is an interactive mode, sort of like perls configuration process.)

-Bill