[CMake] Detecting MinGW MSYS or Cygwin unix style file system

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:25:02 EST 2005

David Cole wrote:

> To me, the very fact that you are targeting Windows indicates that a
> *default* value of "C:/Program Files" is entirely appropriate.

MSYS is not "Windows."  It is a Unix workalike, with forward slash
pathnames, its own / root directory structure, Unix tools in abundance,
etc.  Do not confuse MinGW and MSYS.  MinGW is a compiler, MSYS is an OS
environment.  Neither requires the other, although they are often used
together.

> CMake's default value for something should be  appropriate for the
> majority of its users.

The majority of MSYS users expect /usr/local/.  Hence, MSYS should be
detected and treated as its own beast, same as Cygwin shell is.  Here's
the basic difference between Cygwin and MSYS: the latter is better
licensed and worse packaged.  Hopefully that fault will change in time.

Gotta go fly away and eat a turkey somewhere distant.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every