[CMake] Detecting MinGW MSYS or Cygwin unix style file system

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:19:27 EST 2005

David Cole wrote:

> To me, the very fact that you are targeting Windows indicates that a
> *default* value of "C:/Program Files" is entirely appropriate.

Plainly, MSYS is not "Windows," it is a Unix lookalike.  No different in
principle than Cygwin shell and filesystem.  You are familiar with
those, right?  Pathnames go /// instead of the usual Windows \\\,
everything is /usr/bin and so forth, all standard Unix tools are present
and accounted for....

> I would argue that most  folks are building Windows targeted projects,
> not MSYS targeted  projects...

That misses the point.  MSYS users are building MSYS projects, just like
any other Unix source code build.

Do not confuse MinGW for MSYS.  MinGW is a compiler.  MSYS is an OS
environment.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every