[CMake] VS 8 generator/WinXP x64...

Lars Pechan lars.pechan at parkerpechan.com
Thu May 19 18:18:28 EDT 2005

Hi there,
I'm using CMake 2.0.6 on a Win x64 box. I can generate projects for
Visual Studio 7 .NET 2003 without any problems. I have the second
beta of Visual Studio 8 but when I try to generate for it I get this
error:

"CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding
to "Visual Studio 8 2005". CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set. You
probably need to select a different build tool.

I have made sure that the correct vsvars.bat has been read and I can
run 'nmake' from the command line fine. If I manually set up
NMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM to 'nmake' I get an error when CMake tests 'cl':

"The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple test program, It
fails with the following output: NMAKE: fatal error U1065: invalid
option 'j' Stop. CMake will not be able to correctly generate the
project.

I have tried this using the cmake command line as well as cmakesetup
and the problem is the same. I do realise I might be pushing things a
bit but with both CMake and VS7.1/VS8 running under WoW64 I would
expect this to work. I just tested to generate for "Visual Studio 8
2005" using CMake-2.0.5 on a Win32 machine and the result remains the
same.

A general question about the Windows generators: Do you have to run
VSx to generate a project for VSx or can I use VS7.1 to create a VS8
project file? If not, is the other way kosher, i.e use VS8 to
generate a build file for VS7.1?

Another matter: Are there any plans for a 64-bit version of CMake?

Any info appreciated.

Kind regards,

/Lars

PS. I have also tested with various CMake-CVS versions without any
different behaviour.