[CMake] remove cmake references in a visual studio solution

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu May 12 10:12:09 EDT 2005

Jean-Michel Rouet wrote:
> I know that my question might sound stupid here, but I have in my team
> some almost integrists guys totally allergic to cmake systems and very
> proud of manually tuning all their visual studio solutions.
> Each time a gave them CMake generated solutions, they cannot simply use
> them because it requires CMake installed on their system.
> So my question: is there a way make CMake export a solution without any
> references to CMake inside (post build steps and other things).

No, this is not currently possible.  The generated solutions are meant
to work only on the system on which they were generated.  They will work
on another system only if everything is in the same place (CMake, source
tree, build tree, compiler, external libraries, etc.).  The idea of
CMake is to let each developer use his or her favorite native tools for
development.  Any communication of build system changes takes place
through the CMakeLists.txt files which allows CMake to be the only
common tool across machines.

-Brad