[CMake] more linking problems

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue May 3 08:55:04 EDT 2005

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:0y-utpzDcywJ:lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2004-09/msg00124.html+libtool+convenience+library+windows&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
> ------------8<---------------8<--------------8<--------------
> If these so-called "convenience" libraries are meant to be linked in
> whole, they should not be ar archives at all. You should just link them
> directly into a relocatable object file:
>  ld -r -o <convenience.obj> *.o
> ----------8<--------------8<--------------8<-------------------
>
> Would this be portable ?

Thanks for the link.  That may be useful.  It might be portable on UNIX
flavors but probably not on Windows linkers.  Also I think when linking
targets the granularity for including symbols is the object file level,
so by linking every symbol into a single object then any program that
uses one symbol will get the whole thing.  However I'll have to
investigate what the -r option does.

I've added the information to the corresponding feature request:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1790

Thanks,
-Brad