KDE & CMake (was Re: [CMake] the remaining problems with compiling KDE with cmake)

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 10:06:16 EDT 2005

So, for this list of requirements:
Can you explain the ones I have marked with ???

Must support:
 - generating binaries (duh)   OK
 - generating shared libs (on all ELF platforms + MacOS X; Windows?)  OK
 - icon installation   ???
 - uic, moc, KConfigXT, etc   OK
 - GCC visibility   ????
 - automatic dependency resolution  OK
 - manual hints for dependency resolution  OK
 - flex/bison   OK
 - non-recursive (flat) builds   OK (cmake 2.2)
 - --enable-final   ????
 - builddir != srcdir   OK
 - simple to the point of being learnable within 5 minutes  OK
 - kdeinit support (?)  ????
 - multiple build targets (libfoo, libbar, libbaz) in one file  OK
 - --compile-slots, like in unsermake  ????
 - pkg-config support   OK
 - support rpath sanely   OK
 - ability to link & run uninstalled binaries   OK
 - easily integrated into KDevelop    OK
 - 'admin' needs to be shipped in KDE instead of in src of each app   ???
   (if we keep the 'admin' dir, that is)

I think cmake can do most of this with no problem.   Why is scons the front
runner right now?

-Bill