[CMake] OS/Compiler Versioning for External Libs

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jan 12 11:12:36 EST 2005

Brian Hone wrote:
> I'm working on such a C program, based on the information at:
>
> http://predef.sourceforge.net/prearch.html
>
> Do you think it would make sense to integrate compiler version as a
> command?  It doesn't look to hard to implement a new cmCommand.

If it is provided by CMake at all it should be a
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_VERSION variable that gets set automatically.  The
problem is that determining the version requires specific per-compiler
knowledge so it is not guaranteed that a version is available for a new
compiler.  It should probably be provided anyway with documentation that
says it may be available only on known compilers.  Please add this as a
feature request here:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug

I don't know when we can get to this, though.

-Brad