[CMake] new Makefile generator: make install behaviour

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Apr 27 11:51:59 EDT 2005

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> the rule for make install looks like this:
>
> # Special rule to run installation script.
> install:
> 	$(CMAKE_COMMAND) -P cmake_install.cmake
>
> IOW it doesn't depend on all (which I would have expected to).
>
> Shouldn't it be better something like this:
>
> # Special rule to run installation script.
> install: all
> 	$(CMAKE_COMMAND) -P cmake_install.cmake

The install rules have never depended on all in any version of CMake.
This is a matter of opinion, but since most other tools do it I don't
have a problem with adding this dependency by default.  I've just
committed changes that enable this, but allow the user to disable it by
setting the CMake variable CMAKE_SKIP_INSTALL_ALL_DEPENDENCY.

-Brad