[CMake] CMake ERROR

Michnay Balázs michnay at freemail.hu
Sun Oct 10 08:46:42 EDT 2004

Dear CMake users,
I've been trying to make my itk.dsw and vtk.dsw files using
CMakeSetup under WinXP but I always get the same error message.
I set the source and destination folders and then I click on "Configure"
(I build for Visual Studio 6). Having waited for about 7-8 seconds
(with "Check for working C compiler" in the statusbar) I get and error
message saying that the C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple
tests program. The Visual Studio 6.0 runs and works just fine. For the
exact error message please take a look at the following image:
(Since this is a mailing list, I didn't want to attach images to my
message)

http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~michnay/ERROR.jpg

After pressing the Configure button CMake keeps creating
CMakeTmp\CMakeTmp\CMakeTmp\... folders until I get the above error
message.

After all this the destination directory contains 5 files:
- cmake.check_cache
- CMakeCCompiler.cmake
- CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
- CMakeSystem.cmake
- CMakeCache.txt
(no .dsw or .dsp files...)

And contains a CMakeTmp directory which contains a Debug and
another CMakeTmp directory. The directory stucture looks like this:

http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~michnay/ERROR2.jpg

When I choose NMake Makefiles I don't get any error messages and
CMake exits without errors, but doesn't create the .dsw file (of course).
(build for NMake Makefiles uses the same "cl.exe" as the C++ compiler)
Visual Studio 7 doesn't work either...
Please help me to get VTK and ITK work, it would be very important.

- Do I need to use CMake when writing ITK/VTK applications or do I only
need to do this once?

- Isn't it enough just to include the necessary header files into my
project? Why do I need this CMake thing when I have all the headers?
(I didn't find any information on this.)

My CMake version is: 1.6 - patch 3
VTK version number (that I'd like to install): 4.2
ITK version number (that I'd like to install): third public release (release-
1-0)
Operating System: Winows XP
Compiler: MS Visual C++ 6.0

Thanks for your help in advance,