[Cmake] (ITK) Build Errors terminus.kitware -- WinXP-VC60, library rebuil ds

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Mon Mar 17 14:18:08 EST 2003

The build errors on terminus.kitware are referencing methods that I removed
from the system on Friday.  These symbols were never used, so I deleted them
to simplify the code.

Since we have these build errors, it looks VC6 did not rebuild all the
libraries or an old object file is lying around.

The reason I bring this up on the list(s) is that we have had a lot of
problems recently with VC6 building applications (examples) where the
dependent libraries are not being rebuilt.  Here is an example:  change some
code in library A.  Library B links with library A.  Executable C links with
library B.  If you just tell VC6 to build executable C, then library A does
not get rebuilt.  If you build from the top using the ALL_BUILD target, then
everything works fine. I think Matt discovered if he added the other
libraries to the particular projects (using "Add files to project"), then
the rebuilds are triggered properly.  However, this information is lost the
next time CMake is run.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>Have other people seen this?  Can CMake add the link libraries that an
executable uses that are also built by the workspace to the dependent
projects? Or is this necessary?

I think I have seen this same behavior on VC7.

Jim Miller
Visualization & Computer Vision
GE Research
Bldg. KW, Room C218B
P.O. Box 8, Schenectady NY 12301

millerjv at research.ge.com <mailto:millerjv at research.ge.com>

james.miller at research.ge.com
(518) 387-4005, Dial Comm: 8*833-4005,
Cell: (518) 505-7065, Fax: (518) 387-6981