[CMake-Promote] Generic installation instructions

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 03:39:33 EST 2006

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva wrote:

> Personally, I have no preference... but I think the convention for
> these types of files (LICENSE, README, INSTALL, etc) is ALLCAPS with
> added extension only in windows systems.

For the record, there's really no such thing as "an added extension only
in Windows systems."  Nobody distributes 2 different source tarballs,
one with ALLCAPS.txt for Windows and ALLCAPS for everyone else.  The
vast majority of open source stuff I've built on Windows has come from a
Unix universe.  Thus I am forever annoyed by the ALLCAPS convention.

> For the Windows camp, this type of file is non-traditional (not
> something people go looking for) probably the more normal thing would
> be a *.hlp file linked to the start menu...

CMake is for developers building from source trees.  If it's just a
plain jane source tree, it usually doesn't have an installer, nor does
it generate links to anything in the desktop Start menu.  Perhaps you
are thinking of distributions or packages that have an installer, a
binary app, and optional source code supplied.

> So, all things considered INSTALL-CMAKE.txt makes sense to me.

I agree it makes sense, but I think INSTALL-CMake.txt looks better.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
20% of the world is real.