[cmake-developers] OpenBSD without SONAME

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu May 29 09:04:46 EDT 2014

On 05/28/2014 05:19 PM, J Decker wrote:
>> CMake would much rather use full paths rather than -L/-l because of ambiguity problems.
>
> I can get around abguity by ordering the order of -L entries..

CMake versions prior to 2.6 always did that.  We had no end of trouble
with the wrong library files getting found by the linker.  There are
often problems with cycles in the ordering dependency graph.  There
is also the problem of ensuring a static library is found when desired.
CMake has code to add -Bstatic -lfoo -Bdynamic sequences, but that
approach has its own problems you can find in the list archives.

Linking by library file path eliminates all these problems.