[cmake-developers] CPack API redesign

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Aug 11 17:47:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/8/11 Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com>:

> >> Just nice, thanks.
> >
> > FYI, I had to merge in a couple of warning fixes:
> >
> >  http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=log;h=632c2659
> >  http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=31a313d4
>
> Noted, thank you for fixing my mistakes :-)
>
> However,
>
> I usually take care of warnings (some of them may be harmful)
> so I'm pretty I didn't have those.
>
> Did you get those warnings with MSVC or did any version  of gcc
> provide the same warnings ?

The warnings Brad fixed showed up on the Continuous dashboard for CMake
here:
http://www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=CMake&date=2010-08-11#Continuous

The flags used on that machine (older gcc running on Mac OSX 10.3 believe it
or not) are:

CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=-g -O0 -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wunused-variable
-Wunused-parameter -Wunused-function -Wunused -Wno-system-headers
-Wno-deprecated -Woverloaded-virtual
CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING=-g -O0 -Wall -W

> Another gitish question:
>
> When you want to develop something that is only in next (and not in master)
> is it acceptable to branch from next and then merge to next
> or is there a better git workflow ?

We branch from the commit that was merged into next, not next itself, to
continue work that was begun based on master but is not merged back into
master yet.

So... find the commit that Brad made that fixed the warnings, which I think
is this one:
http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commit;h=31a313d47043923bc722554175912e75a03a13f6

And then begin a new branch from there:
git checkout -b CPack-APIredesign 31a313d4

If you already have a local branch with that name, I'm sure there's a way to
just pull those commits into that pre-existing branch, too. But you'll have
to wait for Brad to reply for that one.

Cheers,
David