[CDash] Submitted "files" presentation

Cristian Morales Vega christian.morales.vega at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:06:25 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 18:05, Zack Galbreath <zack.galbreath at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Cristian Morales Vega <christian.morales.vega at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 16:07, Cristian Morales Vega
>> <christian.morales.vega at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > ctest_submit() let's you submit PARTS, but also FILES. I have
>> > submitted a file with the output of "llvm-cov" with Source-based Code
>> > Coverage. I know CDash only supports gcov coverage right now, I don't
>> > expect to get full support for it. But I was hoping to be able to
>> > access the submitted file somehow from the CDash web view, linked
>> > somehow to the build. Maybe some "Extra files" section or something.
>>
>> I have actually managed to get what I wanted with ctest_upload(). Not
>> really sure what's supposed to be the difference, though.
>

> I'm glad you figured out how to upload your file to CDash.
>
> In my experience, `ctest_submit(FILES ...)` is mostly used for manually submitting CTest XML files that have been generated previously.
>
> As you discovered, `ctest_upload` allows you to associate arbitrary files or URLs with your build.

I have yet to try, but I'm now wondering what's the difference between
the "Notes", "ExtraFiles" and "Upload" "PARTS". Notice that
CTEST_NOTES_FILES and CTEST_EXTRA_SUBMIT_FILES don't appear in
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/manual/cmake-variables.7.html#variables-for-ctest.

About "ctest_submit(FILES ...)". I have seen that
https://blog.kitware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/subproject_coverage_example.tar.gz
from https://blog.kitware.com/additional-coverage-features-in-cdash/
does use it to send a Project.xml to create subprojects. But I have
not seen that documented elsewhere and now I'm asking myself what
other magic xml types can I send to do magic stuff... not curious
enough yet to learn PHP, though :-)