[CDash] GitHub Status API support

Cristian Morales Vega christian.morales.vega at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 16:00:39 UTC 2019

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 16:11, Zack Galbreath <zack.galbreath at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:57 AM Cristian Morales Vega <christian.morales.vega at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see the PR has already been merged. I guess I could take the latest
>> Docker Hub image and just try it? Not sure of the exact steps needed,
>> though.
>>
>> Do I need to add a Webhook to my GitHub repository? Just push or any
>> event? What does happen when CDash receives the POST request from
>> GitHub? Since in my setup right now Jenkins is basically in charge of
>> everything and CDash doesn't really know about anything until it
>> receives the results from Jenkins I'm unsure how all the pieces fit
>> together.
>

> Yes, this feature is now available.
>
> I was going to write up a blog post announcing it & how to use it, but we would also like to add support for GitHub Checks, so I'm going to hold off on official publication until that's ready too.
>
> But since you asked, here's how to get CDash to post statuses on your GitHub commits.
>
> Step 1: Register a GitHub App for your CDash instance.
> You can skip this step if you're using a public, Kitware hosted CDash instance like open.cdash.org.
> Here's what to enter for the various fields on this form.
>
> Homepage URL: the base URL of your CDash installation (http://open.cdash.org)
> User authorization callback URL: user.php on this CDash instance (https://open.cdash.org/user.php)
> Setup URL: leave blank
> Redirect on update: leave unchecked
> Webhook URL: /api/v1/noop.php (https://open.cdash.org/api/v1/noop.php). This will need to be updated to our new GitHub webhook API endpoint once our support for "GitHub Checks" is ready.
> Webhook secret: leave blank for now
>
> Permissions:
>
> Repository contents: read only (to be able to compare commits)
> Commit statuses: read and write (this is the main feature we're after)
> You might also want to give it read & write permissions for Checks now, just so you don't have to update it later once this feature is ready.
>
> For now leave "User Permissions" and "Subscribe to events" blank.
> Update a logo, we recommend cdash.png in the public/img folder.
>
> For "Where can this GitHub App be installed?", we recommend "any account" depending on who will be submitting to this CDash.
>
> Now you can finally click "Create GitHub app". Record your APP ID. this will go in your config.local.php file as $CDASH_GITHUB_APP_ID. Also generate a private key and upload this to config/github.pem.
>

> Step 2: Install the app on your repository / organization.
> From https://github.com/settings/apps/<my-app-name> click the "Install App" link in the sidebar and follow the instructions. This will give you an installation ID.
>

> Step 3: Add the installation ID to your CDash project
>
> Login to CDash as a project admin.
> Navigate to Settings -> Project -> Repository
> Make sure your project's GitHub URL is filled in under the Repository field.
> [...]

It took me so long that you nearly already have the GitHub checks
support in place (https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/pull/832) :-p

Just wanted to confirm that today I was able to put it together in my
CDash instance and everything works fine. The only thing over these
instructions that I had to do is setting the "Repository Viewer URL".
It's good to have it anyway, so no big deal. But when setting only
Settings -> Project -> Repository it didn't work, both "Repository"
and "Repository Viewer URL" need to be in place for it to work for me.
Small bug?