[CDash] Where and how to display git SHA of commit at CDash dashboard?

Niels Dekker niels_dekker_address_until_2024 at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 30 18:23:18 UTC 2018

Zack Galbreath wrote on Tuesday Jan 30, 2018:
> As Dave Cole mentioned, we now display the git commit (if available)
> in the Update column on index.php.  We have a couple features left to
> port before we can upgrade my.cdash.org.

Thanks for your reply, Zack. I see the "Update" column at
https://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=SuperElastix has a subheader
below "Update", saying "Files". Is that where the commit SHA should
appear? On https://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=CMake the subheader
of the "Update" column says "Revision", and it does actually show
shortened commit SHA hashes, as David Cole pointed out.

Or do you mean that my.cdash.org just does not support displaying the
commit SHA hash yet? If so, can you maybe give some rough indication
when it does?

David Cole wrote on Monday Jan 29, 2018:

> Hopefully somebody who knows what the mechanism is can reply and
> give a hint, but if not, I bet it's not too difficult to figure
> it out based on analysis of the source code of CDash and
> CMake.CTest.

I did some analysis of the source code, but found it not so easy.
Searching through CTest at https://github.com/Kitware/CMake.git it
seemed to me that I should either add command-line argument "--overwrite
ChangeId=<commit-sha>" or set(CTEST_CHANGE_ID  <commit-hash>). In either
way, the commit SHA hash should appear as ChangeId attribute of the Site
tag, in the XML files in the Testing subdirectory (Build.xml,
Configure.xml, etc.), right?  But will it then be visible somewhere at
our dashboard at my.cdash.org?

Zack Galbreath wrote:
> You can still get this information uploaded to CDash even if you rely
> on some external mechanism to update your source code repository:
>
> set(CTEST_UPDATE_VERSION_ONLY 1)
>
> ctest_update()

Thanks. But is this already relevant for my.cdash.org?

Kind regards, Niels

--
Niels Dekker
Scientific programmer