[CDash] newbie questions

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Thu Mar 30 20:01:02 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Reuben Kraft <reuben.kraft at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1) I am confused what relationship the my.cdash.org website has with my
> local install of cdash and dependencies. Can I do one instead of the other?

As you noticed we host a few installations of CDash, such as my.cdash.org
and open.cdash.org.  The software is also available under an open-source
license, so you can also set it up & run it yourself.

2) If I am using github, and I commit a code change. When does cdash come
> into the picture? Do I need to run the regression tests on my local machine
> and then tell cdash to “inspect” the results?

The main value of CDash is in organizing & displaying your build/test
results.  How you actually test changes to your code base is up to you.
Since your code already lives on GitHub, I will point out that TravisCI and
CircleCI are popular and free options.  There's plenty of other ways to
accomplish this too.