[CDash] Upgrading from 2.0.2 to 2.4.0

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Wed Jul 26 13:30:36 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 8:45 PM, François Bertel <fbopensource at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a new error when I click on the "Upgrade Cdash" button: I can see
> "Upgrading tables:" with the green check icon and the line below with
> the spinning wheel icon and "Applying 2.2 patches..." but a modal dialog
> with the following message pops up:
> "error Internal Server Error
>                              [OK]"
>
> When I close it, I still see the spinning wheel and it gets stuck there.
>
> I have the following error message in /var/log/apache2/error.log:
>
> Call to a member function fetch() on boolean in pdocore.php

This error typically means you don't have a database connection.  Instead
of trying to fetch results from an active DB connection, it's trying to
fetch them from FALSE (the error return value).  Since you got this far, I
assume that CDash can normally connect to the database, and somehow the
connection slipped during the upgrade process.

Looking at the v2.2 upgrade path
<https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/blob/master/public/upgrade.php#L613>, it
doesn't seem like it's doing anything that should strain your database too
hard.  The only thing that isn't completely routine is the while() loop
over buildupdate::buildid.  This is just a guess, but you could try running
this query manually:

SELECT buildid FROM buildupdate

If this returns something crazy like millions of rows, then perhaps that's
the problem here.