[CDash] ctest -D <dashboard>, Nightly, Continuous, or Experimental?

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Mon Dec 4 15:12:09 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Niels Dekker <
niels_dekker_address_until_2018 at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Last week I created a dashboard at http://my.cdash.org for the first
> time:  http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=SuperElastix (under
> construction). The idea is to regularly compile and test the project on
> Jenkins, and submit the log files to my.cdash.org.

Sounds good.

Is there any technical difference in the way "-D Nightly" is handles,
> versus "-D Continuous" or "-D Experimental"?

Nightly builds are all reported as starting at the same time.  The
motivation here is to have a bunch of builds that are all testing the same
version of the code, once per day.  For instance, all the nightly CMake
builds today have a buildstamp of "20171204-0100-Nightly".

> If these are only just group names, is it also OK to add other group
> names, e.g., "-D MyDashboardGroup"?

Yes, generally speaking you can create arbitrary build groups and submit to
them however you like.  However, for the free edition of my.cdash.org you
are limited to the three default groups (Nightly, Experimental, and
Continuous).  We're looking at revamping and upgrading my.cdash.org soon,
so this restriction might go away.