[CDash] Installing and Setting up CDash/Postgresql

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:23:14 UTC 2016

Thanks for doing this. I should have some usable notes when this is done.

There is something definitely odd: http://localhost/CDash/viewProjects.php
just displays a blank page, I owuld have at least expected all the usual
Cdash stuff minus the project. Headers/Footers etc.
Regards
    Andrew

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Zack Galbreath <zack.galbreath at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Hey Andrew,
>
> Thanks for slogging through this.  As you noticed, our postgres support is
> currently broken.  Apparently our automated nightly test of this
> configuration was stuck on an old commit.  I'm working on restoring
> postgres support now.  I'll send a follow-up email here when the release
> branch is back in good shape.
>

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Andrew Maclean <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Looking at the documentation in:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/ddl-constraints.html
>> It seems that "Adding a unique constraint will automatically create a
>> unique btree index on the column or group of columns used in the
>> constraint." so that line is not needed in Postgresql.
>>

> Thanks for the tip!
>

>> Is this a safe thing to do?
>> When you read on there is this paragraph:
>> "In general, a unique constraint is violated when there is more than one
>> row in the table where the values of all of the columns included in the
>> constraint are equal. However, two null values are not considered equal in
>> this comparison. That means even in the presence of a unique constraint it
>> is possible to store duplicate rows that contain a null value in at least
>> one of the constrained columns. This behavior conforms to the SQL standard,
>> but we have heard that other SQL databases might not follow this rule. So
>> be careful when developing applications that are intended to be portable."
>>

> The uuid field is setup to be NOT NULL, so hopefully this gotcha won't
> impact our particular use of the unique constraint.

Andrew J. P. Maclean