[CDash] email credentials

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Mon Dec 26 19:48:26 UTC 2016

>  the CDash installation is on an AWS instance in the cloud

Ok, that helps explain it and frame the context a bit then.

> I guess I can try to set up SMTP with a localhost restriction on the
> AWS instance...

That's likely the safest bet, in which you would configure a local mail
server like postfix, sendmail, exim, etc. to accept localhost connections
w/o credentials and to act as an SMTP relay to an external SMTP server.
That way the SMTP credentials are stored with the mail server configs, out
of reach from the web server, vs a PHP config file that sits on the web
server.  Amazon has a pretty easy guide to setting this up for a local
mailserver to forward to the Amason SES SMTP server:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/send-using-smtp-integrate.html.
In this case, you would configure CDash to use localhost w/ no credentials
for the SMTP server and then configure postfix (or other)  to relay to the
amazon SMTP servers with the necessary credentials.

- Chuck