[Cdash] Empty content for some tests - probably bad BS character in the output - [NON-XML-CHAR-0x8]

Juan Pablo Hernandez Vogt jphv at open-engineering.com
Mon Jun 23 09:46:07 UTC 2014

Hello people!

I'm new with CDash. I installed a new cdash (version 2.0.2) in a second
server and I see that some tests are appears as "empty" when calling
testDetails.php.

When I run them manually the output seems to be OK. So, after think for a
while I print the output as a file and opening in Notepad++ I found that
some lines have the *BS *character. Only files with that character have
"empty" output in CDash.

Looking in the old CDash (version 1.4.9) those "empty" tests are displayed
correctly, and [NON-XML-CHAR-0x8] is present as equivalence of each BS
characters that I saw in the output file.

That character was used in the program to overwrite the output in the
terminal, so instead to have the evolution of the process line by line,
only last line is updated and its more comfortable for the user. Result: I
cannot remove it!

1) What is needed to make CDash compatible with this character?

2) Could be compression/decompression have something to do? or PHP maybe?

I cannot see exactly what is the content in mysql because is compresed.
Test.xml is like:
<Measurement>
<Value encoding="base64" compression="gzip">eJztmd(....)====</Value>
</Measurement>