[Cdash] Update shows 'Unknown' user when the

Michele Caramello mcaramello at invensense.com
Sun Jul 10 23:27:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

I noticed certain Update.xml submissions to Cdash (using SVN) can
cause the dashboard to believe a repository operation was done by an
unregistered user (Unknown). Consequently, dashboard warnings are
generated as well as back-end errors, Cdash log messages (see the
first extract below).

<< BEGIN LOG CDash error message >>
Warning reported on 2011-07-08 14:49:16 for build #9552
(SendEmail): User: Unknown is not registered (or has no email) for the project 1
<< END LOG>>

I have browsed the CDash mailing list archives and found nothing
matching. There was indeed a report for the same error but it was due
to other causes
(http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cdash/2010-July/000824.html).
I have been chasing this one problem down for a while now and I
finally got the time to cross check the SVN log with CDash to find out
those happen when there is a repository deletion (SVN remove).

Further investigation made me actually think this is actually not a
Cdash issue but actually a real problem in the Update.xml (generated
by CTest) file and that is not consistent across submissions from
different machines (in this case I compared recent version of CTest
for WinXP 32 bits and Ubuntu 10.x 32 bits).
The 2 machines in fact performs the exact same tasks just on different
environments and that includes also the update of the repository at
each run.

Here is more details:
The Update.xml portion I pasted below shows how CTest's generated
Update.xml contains "Unknown" for the removed files in the repository.
This happens on the Linux machine.

<< BEGIN LOG Update.xml message from CTest running on a Linux machine
for a normal svn update and a remove >>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<log>
<logentry
   revision="5726">
<author>USER1</author>
<date>2011-07-06T22:29:20.049970Z</date>
<msg> bug :1442 bug fixes</msg>
</logentry>
</log>
	Revision: 5726