[Cdash] Feature request

Julien Jomier julien.jomier at kitware.com
Mon Mar 3 02:20:25 UTC 2008

Hi David,

> One of the reasons I live in constant fear of committing to
> the VTK repository is the barrage of e-mail notifying me
> that there were errors, warnings, test failures, etc. The many
> e-mail messages don't bother me nearly as much as having to
> wade through a different web page for each build even though
> many contain the same error messages. One thing that would be
> really nice is a way to browse through all of the compiler warnings
> or errors associated with a particular source file instead of looking
> at the messages sorted by build. Because I tend to fix things by
> editing one file at a time, not by editing all the files that caused one
> build problems. I tried doing the latter for a while but after 20
> or 30 builds it gets hard to remember which warnings you've fixed
> for a previous build and which you haven't.

Do you think having one summary page which lists all the errors and
warnings for a given day (with maybe some annotation,such as "fixed at
XX:XX:XX by User X") would do what you want?

> Another killer feature along those lines would be a way for a developer
> to mark warnings/errors as "fixed" (or at least that a fix has been
> attempted). While it would be nice for everyone to be able to see
> that you are working on an issue, even just a browser cookie that
> identified what warnings should be colored as "done" on my local
> machine would be nice.

It should be fairly easy to attach a user's note to a build. We could
have some predefined messages like "User X is currently looking at this
issue".

Could you submit a feature request in the bug tracker? (www.cmake.org/Bug)

Thanks,