[VTK ARB] some git info[Fwd: Re: [Nipy-devel] [nipype] 0.1 tagged]

Andrew Maclean a.maclean at cas.edu.au
Mon Oct 19 18:49:56 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I use both Windows and Linux. For Windows I am using msysgit and it seems
Ok.

I have been experimenting with the svn+git solution here and it seems Ok.
One thing I sometimes forget is to do a "git svn rebase" but git seems to be
quite forgiving! Oddly enough I find the command line interface for git in
windows more useful than TortiseGit but on the other hand TortiseGit gives a
good visual indication it the state of the repository. Maybe when I am more
confident I will use TortiseGit.

One thing ... even on a small repository the initial checkout from the svn
can take a long time. That is using the command "git svn clone". Oddly
enough it is really slow in windows but much faster in Linux. I also got
some Perl errors in Windows and had to do a fetch and a rebase to fix the
local repository. I suspect these errors were caused by the network
connection. However git is robust!

Another issue I haven't solved is that Git Bash always asks for the password
when accessing the svn repository - maybe I need to set something but I
haven't found it yet. No such issues in Linux.

Git takes a little getting used to but overall it seems really robust. I
like the fact you have a full history on your machine, you can try things
and then revert quite easily.

I have started to use it for ad-hoc developments. It is really nice to have
a repository with a complete history on your machine for this sort of work.

I guess my advice to windows users is to first get familiar with the command
line interface: Git Bash and try out the gui: Git GUI. Git GUI seems
reasonable to use. The help for git is quite good.

Regards
   Andrew