The Visualization ToolKit (VTK) is an open source, freely available software system for 3D computer graphics, image processing, and visualization used by thousands of researchers and developers around the world. VTK consists of a C++ class library, and several interpreted interface layers including Tcl/Tk, Java, and Python. Professional support and products for VTK are provided by Kitware, Inc. (www.kitware.com) VTK supports a wide variety of visualization algorithms including scalar, vector, tensor, texture, and volumetric methods; and advanced modeling techniques such as implicit modelling, polygon reduction, mesh smoothing, cutting, contouring, and Delaunay triangulation. In addition, dozens of imaging algorithms have been directly integrated to allow the user to mix 2D imaging / 3D graphics algorithms and data.
- Where can I find more information about VTK?
- Where can I download VTK?
- Where can I download a tarball of the nightly HTML documentation?
- Where can I get VTK Datasets?
- VTK Patch Procedure -- merge requests for the current release branch
- What are some projects using VTK?
- New Cell Picker and Volume Picking
- VTK Graph Layout
- VTK Java Wrapping
- Composite Data Redesign
- VTK Widget Redesign
- Shaders in VTK
- VTK with Matlab
- VTK Time support
- VTK Depth Peeling
- VTK Multi-Pass Rendering
- Using VTK with JRuby
- Cray XT3 Compilation
- Array Refactoring
- Multicore and Streaming
- 3DConnexion Devices Support
- Geospatial and vision visualization support
- New Charts API
- Polyhedron cells and MVC Interpolation
- IMTEK Mathematica Supplement (IMS), the Open Source IMTEK Mathematica Supplement (IMS) interfaces VTK and generates ParaView batch scripts
- , VTK examples in C# (Visual Studio 5.0 and .NET 2.0)
The VTK Community is upgrading its development process. We are doing this in response to the continuing and rapid growth of the toolkit. A VTK Architecture Review Board VTK ARB is being put in place to provide strategic guidance to the community, and individuals are being identified as leaders in various VTK subsystems.
- Examples - Short code examples demonstrating basic functionalities of VTK.
- Tutorials - Slightly longer than the examples, these tutorials explain concepts and demonstrate more complicated tasks in VTK.
Things that are ready to add to VTK
- Collision detection (vtkCollisionDetectionFilter) for computing the intersection of 2 polydata's - http://www.bioengineering-research.com/vtk/vtkCollisionDetectionFilter.htm
- vtkBezierSurfaceWidget from VTK Designer (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vtkdesigner/) to fit bezier surfaces from a point set
- Point set processing classes - http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/708
Things that VTK is missing
- Approximate nearest neighbors algorithm
- Stratified sampling or similar mesh sampling (http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~diego/academic/phd/597d/sample/)