From KitwarePublicJump to navigationJump to search
Adding support for HDF5
Provide better support for large datasets, particularly those used in microscopy.
- ITK provides support for MINC2, which in turn is based on HDF5.
- Chunking (streaming)
- Multi-Channel images
- Large datasets ( Size > 4Gb )
Use Case: Megason Lab, Harvard University
- Single experiment images of size 1024 x 1024 x 75 (XYZ), 2 channels, 1000 time-points
- 8bit and 16bit
- Images stored as 2D PNGs with filenames giving location
- Need to support optimized reading (image streaming) of a sub-volume
- Eg: Box filtering using a kernel of size 5x5x1x1x3
- Cyclic buffer optimization in the ITK reader that keeps overlapping data and only reads new data
- Multi-resolution images for heirarchical registration of multiple experimental sets
- Compression is not as important in the short term but will be needed in the long term