The source distribution for ITK can be obtained in two ways:
- Official release tarballs
- Snapshot from CVS
1. Official Releases
There have been five official releases of ITK since its inception. The latest official release is 1.8.1 from September 2004. It contains several important fixes since 1.8.0:
The previous official release was v1.8, which was released in August 2004. This can be obtained from:
- InsightToolkit-1.8.0.zip (for Windows, 15.5Mb)
- InsightToolkit-1.8.0-Sun-HPUX.tar.gz (for Sun Solaris and HP/UX, 11.4Mb)
- InsightToolkit-1.8.0.tar.gz (for Linux and other *nixen, 11.8Mb)
Older releases are archived at http://www.itk.org/HTML/Download.htm
A series of example applications for ITK are available. See ITK Insight Applications for full details. The source is available for download:
- InsightApplications-1.8.0.zip (for Windows, 9.7Mb)
- InsightApplications-1.8.0-Sun-HPUX.tar.gz (for Sun Solaris and HP/UX, 8.7Mb)
- InsightApplications-1.8.0.tar.gz (for Linux and other *nixen, 8.7Mb)
(Note: the contents of the archives above are identical; only the archiving and compression is changed to best suit different platforms.)
2. CVS Snapshots
Since many bug fixes and improvements are invariably applied to the source since an official release, it is often worthwhile getting a source snapshot from CVS. However, before doing so you should always consult the NightlyDashboard to see the latest nightly build status for all platforms. Find a build matching your platform, and ensure that it is all green. If not, some unit tests may have failed and you may need to go back a day or so to find a build that has passed green.
The very first time you access the ITK CVS repository, you must log in:
cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/Insight login
When prompted for a password, simply press Enter (it is empty).
To check out ITK itself:
cvs -d :pserver:email@example.com:/cvsroot/Insight co Insight
To check out the Insight documentation (warning: this is huge):
cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/Insight co InsightDocuments
Numerous sample applcations, some simple and some quite sophisticated, are available from InsightApplications:
cvs -d :pserver:email@example.com:/cvsroot/Insight co InsightApplications
Here are the known release tags (use with cvs -r):
- `ITK-2-0-1` for release 2.0 branch, patch 1.
- `ITK-2-0` for release 2.0 branch.
- `ITK-1-8-1` for release 1.8 branch patch 1.
- `ITK-1-8` for release 1.8 branch.
- `ITK-1-6` for release 1.6 branch.
- `ITK-1-4` for release 1.4 branch.
- `Release-1-2` for release 1.2 branch.
- `Release-1-0` for release 1.0 branch.
- `Release-0_7` for beta release 0.7 branch