[vtkusers] PStructuredGrid questions and ghostlevels

George Zagaris george.zagaris at kitware.com
Thu Jun 27 21:34:37 EDT 2013

Hi Jeremy,

To the best of my knowledge, partition interfaces in VTK need to abut.

Although I do understand the reasoning of what you are trying to achieve,
from a finite difference code perspective, leaving a gap is problematic b/c
it creates an implicit cell that could span two or more partitions/zones.
For most post-processing/visualization operations, the algorithms need to
loop over cells, e.g., consider contouring or interpolating the data over a
line. Not having an explicit definition of all the cells in a partition
makes this more complicated -- it would require building that information
when reading in the partitioned grid, e.g., by growing the grid to the
right and communicating the data (assuming we run in parallel).

More importantly, VTK structured grids can also store values at
cell-centers. The output scheme that you describe would only work for
node-centered data.

So, to best support node-centered and cell-centered data, partition
interfaces need to abut.

Hope this helps.

Best,
George