[vtkusers] PStructuredGrid questions and ghostlevels

Kozdon, Jeremy (CIV) jekozdon at nps.edu
Thu Jun 27 16:04:47 EDT 2013

Hello,

I am trying to get vtk to properly work with a parallel finite
difference code. What I would like to do is have each processor write
the data they "own" to a separate file. For instance
    processor 0 would write local extends "0 9 0 10 0 0" to file file0.vts
    processor 1 would write local extends "10 19 0 10 0 0" to file file1.vts
    processor 2 would write local extends "20 29 0 10 0 0" to file file2.vts
I thought that when I wrote the pvts file to combine the data this would
be ghostlevel="0" since there is no overlap of the data, but I get
errors on a lack of extents. For instance in the above it would be for
lack of extents "9 10 0 10 0 0" and "19 20 0 10 0 0", i.e., where the
parallel boundary occurs.

I am wondering if there is a better way to do what I am trying to
accomplish / whether it is possible to do such formatting with vtk. I
would prefer not having processors write duplicated data if possible.

Thanks!
Jeremy