[vtkusers] Is it possible to have a "bounding sphere" for an actor

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Sat Nov 8 06:41:02 EST 2008

Using bounding boxes is sufficient to compute intersection tests, but
depending on the data sets geometry, an acceleration structure based
on spheres may be more or less efficient. If you use bbox min and max
points (extreme corners) to calculate your center and radius, you will
create a sphere that contains the entire bounding box and additional
empty space.

Which primitive is better in practice is a function of how long it
takes to create the bounding primitive (sphere or box), how long it
takes to test for intersection against the primitive, and how much
empty space (source of false positive tests) is contained by the
primitive.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with,
Dave DeMarle