[vtkusers] Is it possible to have a "bounding sphere" for an actor

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Sat Nov 8 08:56:47 EST 2008

Hi Dave,
                     Would you happen to know how the vtkBoundingBox
class is used, for computing intersection tests?  I tried going
through the docs and a bit through the sources, but could only find a
single dependency to vtkBox.

I'm looking for a small bounding box intersection test example, to
study how vtkBoundingBox is used, in order to experiment with trying
to compute a bounding sphere. Later on, I want to be able to extend
this to an implicit function, so that I can create say an ellipsoidal
bounding area and align it with the actor, and then try to see if they
intersect.

I'm trying to model electromagnetic sensor ranges, so the simplest way
was to create a sphere bounding box around an actor, and then compute
intersection tests. Later on, replace the bounding box with a more
complex function. I know replacing it with a complex function may
increase the computational resources required, but at that stage, I
will try to perform parallel processing and off-load all the
intersection tests as a separate process on a couple of vector
processors. So, in the end, I'll try to get portions of VTK to run on
a vector processor.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson