[vtkusers] rendering of volume with analytical representation

Roster Wang kxwang at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 17:02:00 EST 2008

Hi All,

I came across a problem while using VTK to render a volume data which are
represented by analytical function. For example, I use f(x, y, z) = sqrt(x^2
+ y^2 + z^3) - 10 for a sphere with radius of 10, if I could visualize the
zero isosurface. vtkVolumeRayCastMapper only accept vtkImageData as input.
Is there anyway to make it work with an function? Although it's possible to
discretize the continuous function into a image data, but this is not what I
want. Because we can precisely calculate the intersection point between cast
ray and the iso surface and surface gradient with analytical function, but
we only get an estimation with image data. I am trying to accomplish this in
current VTK framework, anyone have any experience with this task?

-Thanks