[vtkusers] Qt with VTK error-MSVCP80.dll not found

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Oct 12 01:38:31 EDT 2006

Ashish

Visual studio 2005 has introduced some changes to DLL's (for the worse
in my view). In previous versions of visual studio and windows in
general, you could copy the dlls into the same dir as the exe and all
would be fine. Alternatively, place them on the path and it'd work.
However, VS2005 has new runtime C and CPP libraries which actually make
use of some of the new dor NET assemblies and such like. These dlls have
got version information built into them and only work when correctly
installed (by using a windows installer type setup). Just copying
msvcp80.dll etc into the app path doesn't work any more.

My guess is that you are using a Qt precompiled by trolltech and visual
studio express rather than the full blown visual studio, which will
install all the dlls in the correct system locations.

I have recently had the trouble that if I compile an application it runs
fine on my machine, but I cannot run it on another machine unless an
installer is provided which sets up the dot net runtime (or some subset
with dls) if it is not already present. This ensures that the relevant
libraries are present and al works. Furtunately, there is an easy to use
installer generator in visual studio.

I don't really know exactly what I'm talking about or how it helps you,
so I hope someone else will explain the situation more clearly.

JB