[vtkusers] VTK with visual Studio 2005

Oleg Pianykh opiany at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 16:55:50 EST 2006

I downloaded VTK and run CMake 2.4 to build the .sln file for my Visual
Studio.
Then I was able to compile VTK with Visual Studio, worked fine.

Now I'd like to test some sample VTL code, or write mine, BUT
1. Which VTK .h files should I include, with which static .lib VTK
libraries? I do not see any single VTK include folder or file - do I do this
by trial and error?
2. As soon as I add something like

#include "vtkConeSource.h"

to my program, I immediately get an error message from the Visual Studio
compiler about

#cmakedefine

being an illegal preprocessor directive. Did I do something wrong with CMake
(I changes a few settings there, following instructions from one VTK posting
about CMake that I found online)? If I replace #cmakedefine with #define in
vtkConfig.h file, this error message disappears, but i get an avalanche of
other errors.

What am I doing wrong, and what is the simplest way to run at least one VTK
sample source code to get started?