[vtkusers] VTK with visual Studio 2005

Yianis Nikolaou yianisn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 17:18:03 EST 2006

hi oleg,

I believe the easiest way to use VTK is by creating your projects using
CMake, like you did with the VTK source. Creating CMakeList.txt files for
your own projects is quite easy, I hope the following example helps:

PROJECT (your_Project_name)

#############
#vtk section
#############
INCLUDE (${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/FindVTK.cmake)
IF (USE_VTK_FILE)
  INCLUDE(${USE_VTK_FILE})
ENDIF (USE_VTK_FILE)

#################################
#MFC section, if you are using MFC
#################################
ADD_DEFINITIONS(-D_AFXDLL)
SET(CMAKE_MFC_FLAG 2)

ADD_EXECUTABLE(your_Project_name WIN32
#your source files go here
#your_Project_name.cpp
#your_Project_name.h
#etc
#etc
)

TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(your_Project_name
  vtkRendering
  vtkGraphics
  vtkIO
  vtkFiltering
  vtkCommon
  vtkWidgets
)

Save the above lines as CMakelist.txt in your directory and modify it
according to your needs. You should modify the link libraries section if you
want to use other features of VTK, but i think these libraries will cover
your initial tests. Then run CMake as you did when you created the VTK
project.

hope this helps,
yianis