[vtkusers] VTK Textbook vs OpenGL Manual

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Fri Apr 15 12:17:49 EDT 2005

 <d926602e876a74fea82ea54954b44d3a at ist.utl.pt>Paulo Tribolet Abreu writes:
<snip>

>However, although I'll be doing some assignments in OpenGL, I really
>want to learn enough to start programming in VTK. So I'm considering
>not buying the OpenGL book, and instead buy the VTK Textbook (I'll buy
>the VTK User Guide anyway). So my question is, for those that read the
>VTK Textbook, is this the correct decision? Or is the VTK Textbook not
>enough to learn general 3D programming? For specific OpenGL issues,

You are right that for OpenGL specific issues, everything you'd want to
know online. I would guess that any course difficulties will not be
related to OpenGL however, but rather with what you are using OpenGL to
do.

I would highly recommend a good 3D graphics book. I would personally
recommend Shirley's, as I took a course with it and it proved to be
very helpful. Foley and van Dam (sp?) also gets good reviews.

The VTK textbook will teach you how to use VTK. I would not recommend
it unless you are really going for the quick and dirty, "get a vis. app
done as soon as possible". The fact that youre taking a course on the
subject (or at least as close a subject as possible) says to me that
youre interested in doing things "right" (kudos!).

-tom

<snip>