[vtkusers] VTK Textbook vs OpenGL Manual

Paulo Tribolet Abreu paulotex at ist.utl.pt
Fri Apr 15 02:17:51 EDT 2005

Hi:

I'm starting to learn scientific visualization. My objective is to
learn enough to write the visualization and analysis routines for the
data results we get from plasma physics simulations.

I've started attending a university course on 3D visualization -- there
is no course on just scientific visualization. We will be programming
in OpenGL, so the teacher recommended buying the "OpenGL programmers
guide".

However, although I'll be doing some assignments in OpenGL, I really
want to learn enough to start programming in VTK. So I'm considering
not buying the OpenGL book, and instead buy the VTK Textbook (I'll buy
the VTK User Guide anyway). So my question is, for those that read the
VTK Textbook, is this the correct decision? Or is the VTK Textbook not
enough to learn general 3D programming? For specific OpenGL issues,
there's plenty of info on the net. I really would like to have a book
that I can carry around that would have the basic concepts of 3D
programming (frustum,  transformation matrix, z-buffer, world view and
so on).

I can always buy the two books, but I'll never carry both of them
around while commuting, so if I have to choose one, which one should it
be?

Thanks,

Paulo