[vtkusers] VTK + ShearWarp Algorithm (new binding to vtk 4.2.5)

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Wed Jan 28 09:52:38 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:43, John Biddiscombe wrote:
> > I'm also planning to contribute the ShellSplatter interactive
> > splatting-based volume renderer to VTK soon:
> > http://visualisation.tudelft.nl/publications/botha2003/
>
> Excellent. I had a look at that a few months ago when you posted about it
> and I was wondering...
> Can you do a MipSplat? (I mean can one do it, rather can you do it?) I have
> been evaluating different volume rendering stuff recently and may even be
> able to spend some time modifying existing classes soon. Hence my interest
> in the shearwarp stuff.
>
> RawImage->MipPriorityFilter(picks top N
> points)->Generatepointlist->SplatPoints in low->high priority order.
>
> Can it be done? (drawing points low to high gives decent mip, but there's no
> "fill-in" between points. using a splat type approach might make it look
> better).

The ShellSplatter makes use of a sparse volume representation.  Voxels
under a configurable opacity threshold aren't stored.  If one makes the
assumption that the intersection between the set of MI voxels and the
set of high opacity voxels is large, one could perhaps abuse the
hardware compositing to yield a kind of mip.  I've been thinking of
playing with this, but haven't had any time yet.

Pre-ordering voxels would negate one of the big speed advantages of the
ShellSplatter and that is the fact that it generates a pure BTF order by
axis traversal, i.e. without any sorting.

Cheerio,
Charl