[vtkusers] Streamlines vs. Lagrangian drifters

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Dec 7 13:40:54 EST 2000

	A few remarks:

	1) A fundamental problem in generating particle paths is that
	vtk has no built-in time support. I am working on this.

	2) vtkStreamer in vtk 3.1.2 uses 2nd order Runge-Kutta (not
	Euler). However, I changed it so that you can now pass
	an integrator object to it (derived from vtkInitialValueProblemSolver).
	I also implemented a 4th order Runge-Kutta integrator. To be able to
	use this functionality, you need to use a nightly built or wait
	for vtk 3.2 (which I hope, will be out soon). I will, in time,
	implement a 5th order Runge-Kutta with 4th order step-size control.

	3) Although the underlying data object can't,
vtkInitialValueProblemSolver
	can handle time. Therefore, it is a matter of adding that support
	to the data sets to make vtkStreamer capable of generating streaklines.

	I would appreciate feedback and suggestions on this.

	Berk