[vtkusers] Streamlines vs. Lagrangian drifters

christopher moore aeolus at ocean.washington.edu
Thu Dec 7 13:04:21 EST 2000

Hi Avan & other users,

I don't have any technical advice for your tcl problem, but I wanted to
make a point that I'm sure you know (but others might not). "Animating" a
streamline is not quite the same as what most folks call a tracing a
particle path, or the path a drifting particle might take in a fluid-flow
problem.  If the velocity field is "steady" it is not a problem, but a
velocity field that changes with time will cause a tracer (or particle, or
drifter) to trace out a path different than the streamline traces at the
same initial position.

Those of us who do oceanography or fluid dynamics might benefit from a
class like vtkStreamer that, instead of rendering streamlines, animates
the path of a drifting particle.  Perhaps someone has done this already
that might help us out?  I was hoping for something with an accurate
time-stepping scheme - perhaps a Runge-Kutta (as opposed to simple
forward-euler)?  I'm a hack of a developer, but if nobody else has done
this I'll give it a try.  You'll have to promise not to laugh at my code,
though....

Yours,
Christopher Moore                             tel 206.526.6779
Research Scientist, Oceanography              fax 206.526.6744
University of Washington/JISAO/NOAA-PMEL