Still No Answer

Steven G. Smith smith84 at llnl.gov
Tue Apr 25 14:01:16 EDT 2000

Hi,

I have not tracked down what exactly is causing this problem but
removing the "special hack" for the Sun worked for me
(TCL/TK 8.3, SunPro 5.0).

Around line 54 in tkAppInit.cxx:

/*
 * The following variable is a special hack that is needed in order for
 * Sun shared libraries to be used for Tcl.
 */
#if 0
extern "C" int matherr();
int *tclDummyMathPtr = (int *) matherr;
#endif

Hope this helps,

Steve

Geoffrey Dix wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is my third attempt at getting an answer (or even an unfriendly response)
> to my original compilation question.
> Here are my two previous messages.  If there is any more information I can
> provide that will help get this question answered, please let me know.
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff
>
> >To All,
>
> >I am trying to compile vtk3.1 with tcl8.3.  I keep getting this error:
>
> >"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 54: Error: Only one of a set of overloaded functions can
>  be extern "C".
> >"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 55: Error: Trying to take the address of the overloaded
> >function matherr.
> >"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 195: Warning: String literal converted to char* in forma
> l argument varName in call to Tcl_SetVar(Tcl_Interp*, char*, char*, int).
> >"./tkAppInit.cxx", line 195: Warning: String literal converted to char* in forma
> >l argument newValue in call to Tcl_SetVar(Tcl_Interp*, char*, char*, int).
> >2 Error(s) and 2 Warning(s) detected.
> >*** Error code 2
> >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `tkAppInit.o'
> >Current working directory /data5/pm/dix/vtk31/tcl
> >*** Error code 1
> >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `build_tcl'
>
> >I also get the 'String literal converted to char*' warning throughout
> compilation.
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> >Geoff

"info vtkusers" to the same address.