vtkJava on Solaris

Daniel J. Blezek, Ph.D. blezek at crd.ge.com
Wed Apr 12 07:22:07 EDT 2000

Hi Sathya and Randy,

  Your milage may vary, but the easier way to do this is in the user.make
file, set the line:

JAVA_CLASS_HOME=/local/skrishna/vtk/java -classpath /local/skrishna/vtk/java

Then when javac runs, it will have the appropriate CLASSPATH set, i.e. to
where all the vtk*.java files are.  javac is also smart enough to compile
the super-classes as needed.  Thus in the line below vtkProp.java will be
compiled immediately as it is found in vtkActor2D.java, and then the
compile will return to vtkActor2D.

I'm going to add the -classpath variable to the Kits.make file, and check
it in.  The java make stuff has been working very well for me, so I'll
commit the changes.  Sathya, you can check out the nightly build tonight,
and you should have better luck.

-dan

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Randy Heiland wrote:

> On Apr 12,  9:34am, Sathya Krishnamurthy wrote:
> > Subject: vtkJava on Solaris
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying compile vtkJava <nightly_release> on Ultra-10 Solaris 2.7 with
> > JDK 1.2.2. I get the following error.
> >
> > /apps/Java-WorkShop/Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_05/bin/javac -d
> > /local/skrishna/vtk/java ../java/vtk/vtkActor2D.java
> > ../java/vtk/vtkActor2D.java:7: Superclass vtk.vtkProp of class vtk.vtkActor2D
> not found.
> > public class vtkActor2D extends vtkProp
> >                                 ^
> > 1 error
> >
> > Can somebody kindly explain me on this ? Also, I have already set my
> > user.make to point to proper Java Locations.
>
> Sathya,
>
> You need to manually compile vtkProp.java (and maybe more):
> % cd /local/skrishna/vtk/java/vtk
> % javac vtkProp.java
> (maybe just 'javac *.java')
>
> and I assume your CLASSPATH includes  /local/skrishna/vtk/java
>
> --Randy

> "info vtkusers" to the same address.

Daniel Blezek, Ph.D.
blezek at crd.ge.com