[Ves] Migrating to VTK

Tim Thirion tim.thirion at kitware.com
Mon Mar 9 11:50:00 EDT 2015

The release of VTK 6.2.0 [1] brings much improved support for mobile (iOS
and Android) devices: the new OpenGL2 rendering backend supports both
OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.0 devices and the CMake build process for
cross-compiling to mobile architectures has been greatly improved. [2]

Though VES has served us well, with these changes we would like all new
mobile development to be done with VTK only. This will allow developers to
leverage the full power of VTK rather than a limited, independent subset.
No new development will be done on VES; it will be deprecated.

We encourage developers to begin using VTK in mobile projects, however the
current support should be considered beta quality. We are working to
improve the OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.0 dashboards. We encourage developers to
contribute example apps. Bugs can be submitted to the VTK bug tracker here:
http://vtk.org/Bug/

Questions or comments are welcome to this mailing list, or the VTK mailing
list.

Tim

[1] - VTK 6.2.0 release changes are here:
http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/858
[2] - An overview of how to build VTK for mobile architectures is here:
http://kitware.com/blog/home/post/860