[Ves] Ask about Shadow Effect in VES (iOS Application)

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu May 22 17:17:16 EDT 2014

Hi there,

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Sweet Tian <sweettian1231 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I'm developping an iOS Application using vtk to implement 3D model
> building.
> And I want to add a shadow to the whole model.
> I was trying the example on the link page (
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/Shadows).
>
> However I failed to compile the source code in Xcode.
> I had the following problems:
> *1)    **Unable find the header "vtkOpenGLRenderer", and other similar 14
> headers.*
>         I found these header are included in the
> "VTK6.0.0/Rendering/OpenGL/" , but I can't find it in vtk.framework
>         which is inported into xCode.
>
> *2)    Unable find the header "vtkRenderingOpenGLModule.h" *        I
> could not find neither the header file and the C++ file in the VTK6.0.0.

you cannot use vtk rendering module in ves yet. Also, the shadow work in
vtk is complex and may not be the best choice given
the mobile world.

> PS :  All I want to do is add shadow to my model in iOS.
>         By the way, can I do it with vtk?

short answer is no.

>         I will appraciate if you can give me some advises.
>         Thank you.

you can (try) implement a shadow map in ves (hopefully without much
difficulty).  I can help you with it if you are willing to do the major
work.

- Aashish

> Sweet Tian

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*