[Ves] problems building ves for android

Daniel Fuentes daniel.fuentes at softwaredelcentro.com.ar
Sun May 18 19:52:55 EDT 2014

Hi Mohammad, I did read this links
http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/546
and
http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/642

also see the readme files VES's:

VES_SRC/Apps/Android/Kiwi/README.txt
VES_SRC/Apps/Android/README.txt

I haven't seen many changes since the last time I built it.
So, I tried to build it using my known method.

So, I tried to build it using my known method. It worked ok.
Next, I list step by step that I did.

I used tools:

-Linux Debian Wheezy (64bits)
-Java 7
-Cmake 2.8.9
-Android NDK r8b
-Android SDK 22.3

The steps on a console were:

$ export ANDROID_SDK=/tmp/android_sdk_path
$ export ANDROID_NDK=/tmp/android_ndk_path

$ git clone git://vtk.org/stage/VES.git
$ cd VES
$ export VES_SRC=$PWD
$ cd Apps/Android/CMakeBuild
$ cmake -P configure.cmake
$ cd build
$ make -j8
$ export VES_DIR=$VES_SRC/Apps/Android/CMakeBuild/build/CMakeExternals/Build/ves-android
$ export VTK_DIR=$VES_SRC/Apps/Android/CMakeBuild/build/CMakeExternals/Build/vtk-android
$ cd ../Kiwi/jni
$ cp CMakeLists.txt CMakeLists.txt.prev
$ echo "cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)" > CMakeLists.txt
$ cat CMakeLists.txt.prev >> CMakeLists.txt
$ cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=$VES_SRC/CMake/toolchains/android.toolchain.cmake -DANDROID_NATIVE_API_LEVEL=8 -DVTK_DIR=$VTK_DIR -DVES_DIR=$VES_DIR .
$ make -j8
$ mv libs ../

At that point, you can import Kiwi as eclipse project, from the path
VES_SRC/Apps/Android/Kiwi

I tried to build it again, using the Android NDK r9d version without success. I had an error similar to you.
The android toolchain script for cmake, didn't can detect the NDK properly.
On your case, I think that the problem is the cmake version.

Regards
Daniel