[Ves] Two KiwiViewers , one view controller–for an orientation cube

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Wed Jun 25 10:50:59 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM, <DEB63 at pitt.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I work in one of the research labs at the University of Pittsburgh.  We
> are currently using the VES and KiwiViewer to render 3D medical research
> data on both iOS and Android.  As a nice added feature, we would like to
> implement a small orientation cube (or other rendered object) to assist
> users with the visualization of our data.
>
> To do this cleanly,  our current approach is to instantiate one larger and
> one smaller KiwiViewer within the same view controller (either
> GKLViewController on iOS, or GLSurfaceView on Android).  The smaller (top)
> KiwiViewer would support the orientation cube, and would need to have its
> background set to transparent in order to see the content of the larger
> KiwiViewer beneath it.   Our hope is that, by doing it this way, the two
> cameras would provide a clean way to synch up a subset of the gesture
> handling, etc…
>
> Are there any foreseeable issues with this approach, such as possible
> problems with trying to instantiate two KiwiViewers within one view
> controller (e.g. running two initGL()’s  for instance), or with setting
> the background of the orientation cube’s KiwiViewer to transparent?

I would not recommend doing this approach. I would made the orientation
geometry stay fixed to the screen (overlay object) and update the
interactions so that it will only rotate and not translate with the scene.
Having two GL context just for this is an overkill in my opinion.

- Aashish

> Thanks

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*